Saturday, September 22, 2007

Some are sicker than others. Some of us need a Savior.

“Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners – of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his unlimited patience as an example for those who would believe on Him and receive eternal life.” 1 Timothy 1:15,16

I may not ever have much in common with the biblical writer, Paul – but I know we have his “trustworthy saying” in common. I found freedom by admitting I am sicker than others and that I need a Savior. I thank God that I found grace even though I was so far gone that I didn’t dare seek it.

My name is LaViva. I am a believer in Jesus Christ that struggles with alcoholism and depression.

After living my sickest, drunken dreams and barely surviving the nightmare of full-blown alcoholism and a life of debauchery, I poured my last 40-ounce down the drain. That was nine years ago by the grace of God. I found a solution to my spiritual, mental and physical malady in the 12 steps. I found a loving and forgiving God through the acceptance and care of people in the rooms.

God has done amazing things since I gave myself over to His care. Today I have a loving husband and a wonderful daughter. I have a job that gives me the opportunity to be of service to others everyday. And God is bringing me to the next level of my recovery: I am coordinating a new recovery program at my church called Celebrate Recovery. In this program we address our hurts, habits and hang ups through a Christ-centered 12 step program.

I personally invite anyone even slightly interested to our regular CR meetings on Friday nights at 6PM at Burbank Seventh-day Adventist Church at 710 S. Glenoaks Blvd., Burbank, CA 91502. I can be reached through outreach@burbanksda.com or 818.848.7051.

May God bless you, especially if you have a feeling you might be “sicker than others”, like me.

No comments: