Wednesday, July 27, 2011

one day with my dad









I never deserved the one chance I got. I certainly don't deserve a second one.

sin = death

I am a sinner. I deserve death. Instead I have been living a very blessed life. I could write a gratitude list a mile long, but that's a little off my point.

grace = life

My life is founded on God's grace and His supergenerous biggerthangigantic love. Today is one example: I got a second chance to find joy in my father's company. After so many years and rivers of water under the bridge, I got to appreciate my dad for the interesting, intelligent and thoughtful person he is.

We spent most of the day together and I thoroughly enjoyed it. For the first time in a long time, it was just him and me. Because I realized early in the day what a privilege it was to drive out to see him my whole approach to the day was different than usual. I took my time. I was in no rush. There were no appointments or commitments to attend to. I was there because I wanted to be.

I took cues from my dad and allowed myself to go at his pace... Thanks to advice from a wise NY Times writer who also writes for the blog: The New Old Age. I was prepared to have one of my best days ever with my dad. When my sense of pointless urgency fell away, so did my anxiety about traffic and arrival/departure times and parking rates and lowsaltlowcholesterollowfat diets and cardiac patient med mixes and... and...

I made good use of my time today -- cleaning to my heart's content, organizing a cabinet, listening to stories about old family friends and new neighbors, checking out the backyard I grew up in, and reintroducing my dad to the wonderful world of mandatory recycling. I enjoyed the quiet of a house full of memories -- many bittersweet, now that my mother has been gone for nearly 15 years. Mostly it was nice just being around my dad without all the hangups I usually bring along for the occasion.

Near the tail end of our one excursion today, we even took a precious moment to enjoy the beauty of a water fountain and feel the warmth of the sun on our upturned faces. It must have been divine inspiration that reminded me to take a picture of my dad posing -- very nonchalantly -- for the camera. He was handsome there in his tweed and soft stillveryblack halo of hair.

I fell in love with my dad again for all the same reasons I had as a little girl. My father was kind and caring today. He was thoughtful and charming today. He made me feel special when he called me "daughter" and "dear". He made me feel like the most blessed kid in the world. Thanks, Dad. Thanks, especially to You, Divine Dad.

No comments: